“If I Could Go Back”

By Tamara Howell


It seems like only yesterday ____

When I was but a small child at play,

So innocent, happy, and trusting I’d be.

My Mom and my Dad took such good care of me.


And then I grew up and fell in love

With a wonderful man sent from Heav’n above,

And soon came the babies, one by one;

And money was scarce, and times were’nt so fun.


I longed for the times of yesterday

When I was but a small child at play.

So innocent, happy, and trusting I’d be,

When my Mom and my Dad took such good care of me.


Then when I grew old, I was taking a walk

On a warm Summer eve’ning just before dark.

I noticed a swingset in someone’s back yard;

And the realization hit me so hard;


I longed for the times of yesterday

When I was the mother of children at play.

So innocent, happy, and trusting they’d be,

When my boys and my girls were dependent on me.


I miss nursing my babies, and holding them close,

And singing them lullabies, soft in the night.

I miss running to meet my small kids after school

As soon as they’d come into sight.


I miss reading them stories, and hearing their prayers,

And tucking them all into bed.

I miss comforting them when they’d cry in the night,

And feeling their feverish heads.


If I could return to my childhood back then,

Would I want to be a little girl again?

Or, if I could go back and re-open that door,

Would I be that young mother once more?


View Printable Version